Speaking as someone who can't draw at all -- I like to joke that my artistic ability peaked in the first grade <g> -- I'm just in awe of what Silvia has been able to do. She really makes Diana's characters come alive. I hope you enjoy her work as much as I have.
With Silvia's permission, I've included a couple of her more recent drawings here, so you can get an idea of why those of us on Compuserve have been enjoying them so much.
And Percy as he was in LORD JOHN AND THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE BLADE:
Diana's reaction to the drawing of Percy:
Amazing! It's not only an excellent drawing, it actually _is_ very close to what Percy looks like!In addition to these portraits, Silvia has also posted a number of more <cough> explicit drawings in the Erotic Writing folder on Compuserve. Some of them are drawings of sex scenes between Jamie and Claire (or others), and some of them are just "intimate moments" (the octopus picture, for example, is hilarious, and has to be seen to be believed <g>) -- but they're all considered too risque to post in the public folders on Compuserve.
I won't link to any of the more explicit pictures. As Silvia says, they're in "pretty good taste", nothing beyond what you might see in an R-rated movie, but just to be on the safe side, I'd rather not link directly to them from here. (In any case, a link wouldn't work for people who don't have access to the private Erotic Writing folder on Compuserve.) And I would ask the rest of you not to post them on other sites, either.
If you want to see the more explicit drawings, please follow these instructions:
1) If you're not already a Compuserve forum member, the first thing you need to do is sign up for an account so that you can post on Compuserve. (It's free.) Look here for more information about logging in to Compuserve for the first time. It's easier if you use Firefox or Internet Explorer as your web browser, and make sure all cookies are enabled, including third-party cookies. If you have any trouble logging in to the forum, leave me a comment here or email me at email@example.com and I'll try to help.
2) Once you log in, you will need to ask Margaret Campbell for access to the Erotic Writing folder, if you don't already have access. This is a private folder, and access is limited to those who are 21 and above.
- Post a message here (in the thread titled "erotic folder--request access HERE!"), addressed to Margaret Campbell. Be sure to state your age.
- Please don't create a new thread (discussion) when requesting access to the Erotic Folder. That just creates more work for me as Section Leader, because I have to merge it into the existing request thread. Simply go to the message you want to reply to (choose any message in this thread that was posted by Margaret Campbell), and click the Reply button below that message.
- When Margaret responds that you have been given access (and it may take a few hours for her to get back to you), log out of the forum and back in, and you should see the Erotic Writing folder in the list of folders in the sidebar on the left.
If you want to address a comment to Silvia about her pictures, look for posts by "Bluesquint", which is Silvia's forum nickname. And of course, feel free to join in any of the discussions on Compuserve, whether OUTLANDER-related or not. If you're new to the forum, I would highly recommend reading through the Forum User's Manual.
Many thanks to Silvia for sharing her remarkable talent and love for Diana Gabaldon's books and characters with the rest of us. I hope she keeps drawing these pictures for a long time to come!
UPDATE 4/12/2011 7:12 am: Silvia has posted a new drawing of Jamie here. I like this one very much. If you want to tell her what you think about it, there's a thread on Compuserve here.
UPDATE 4/16/2011 6:22 am: Silvia has posted a new drawing of Claire. As I told her on Compuserve, "This version of Claire is just amazing. She's beautiful, and very, very close to the image in my head."
UPDATE 6/3/2011 7:11 am: Check out Silvia's drawing of Frank, here. I love it!