An open letter to the admins of Diana's Facebook page
AN OPEN LETTER TO THE ADMINS OF DIANA GABALDON'S FACEBOOK PAGE:
1) Many of Diana Gabaldon's fans have little or no interest in the Endless Movie-Casting Debate. The "casting calls" have been going on for six weeks now. Are they EVER going to stop?
2) While the "casting calls" are going on, it's almost impossible for people who visit that page to talk about anything else. Any attempts to discuss topics related to the books (other than movie-casting) get drowned almost instantly in the flood of movie-casting comments. (I and others have tried, repeatedly, with little success, to introduce new topics for discussion.) This only adds to the frustration of fans who want to talk about THE BOOKS and THE CHARACTERS, rather than movie-casting.
3) Diana's Facebook page used to be a place where fans could come together to discuss the books, to ask questions, and to leave comments for Diana. (And occasionally to get answers directly from Diana, which is a thrill for many fans.) In the last six weeks, since the admins have turned it into "All Movie-Casting All The Time", the page seems less and less welcoming to fans who want to discuss anything else. That's really a shame, and I'm certainly not the only one who feels that way!
4) There are other ways of generating interest in the page and discussion among Diana's fans. What about posting a "Question of the Week (or Month)", on some topic of general interest? For example:
- How did you find the series?
- What's the most interesting, amusing, or unusual experience you've had as a result of reading the books?
- What are some of your favorite scenes?
- How many times have you read the books?
- Have you tried to get other people to read the books?
- What do you like best about the OUTLANDER fan community?
- Which book is your favorite, and why?
- Which of the cliffhangers in ECHO would you like to see resolved first?
- Do you read excerpts/#DailyLines or not, and if not, why not?
We hope the admins recognize that many of Diana's fans are interested in topics other than movie-casting, and we sincerely hope that the "casting calls" will come to an end in the near future!
Maybe this won't make any difference. But I hope it will. And I posted it because the people who are not interested in movie-casting deserve to have their opinions heard, too, even if they are (vastly) outnumbered.